Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Buffalo wing sauce mix



My husband, like most males, loves BBQ sauce so much that I think he would drink it if it came in beverage form.

One night on a whim I bought a packet of buffalo wing sauce mix and made our chicken with it. If we weren’t already married at that point I’m sure he would have proposed that night.

I decided to try and recreate the sauce mix on my own.

Single use (to make sure you like it)

¼ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano

Big Batch (makes 4 servings)

1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons oregano

What else you need

4 tablespoons butter or oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons water




I buy my tomato paste double strength in a tube. This is good for recipes that only call for a little so you’re not stuck with part of a can afterwards. With the double strength I just use less paste than the recipe calls for and more water. So I used 1 tablespoon of paste and 4 tablespoons of water instead.

Mix 5 tablespoons of the mix with melted butter or oil, tomato paste and water. Put the meat in a glass baking pan and mix well, totally coating the meat.

I had to use chicken breast strips because we didn’t have any wings.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Serve with delicious homemade fries with seasoning salt and hopefully some sort of vegetable matter. We had salad with this dressing.

The chicken made the house smell amazing while it was cooking.


It was incredibly delicious, way better than the mix pack I bought last month. It was a bit sweeter, which we both liked, but I'll have to come up with a hot version in the future for those who like hot wings instead.

When my husband finished eating he wiped the sauce off his chin and asked me to marry him all over again. Well not really, but I know he was thinking it.

1 comment: