Monday, February 21, 2011

Burrito Seasoning Mix



When you’re on a tight budget, burritos make an amazing meal. They are a tasty way to eat beans (which are cheap and high in protein), use up leftovers and feel like you’re eating take out. You can put all sorts of things in them- beans, cheese, tomatoes, onion, chicken, ground beef, avocado….

But they also taste good with just beans, especially if you spice it right…

Burrito Seasoning Mix

¼ cup onion powder
¼ cup garlic powder
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon cumin

Use 2 tablespoons of mix for every can of beans.

If you’re only using beans and spices, you’ll need 2 cans of beans to make enough filling. If you plan to add cheese, meat or other toppings one can of beans will do.




My husband refuses to eat beans unless they have been pureed so I used a hand blender to mix them. I find this tastes better anyway and solves the annoying problem of beans flying out of your burrito as you eat them. I added ¼ cup of water when I blended them to make it smooth. I probably could have added more.




You can just buy tortillas, but I make my own burrito dough and then bake them in the oven.

Burrito Dough

2 cups flour
¼ cup butter
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup cold water

Mix flour, salt and butter, then slowly mix in water while kneading the dough until you have the desired texture for rolling out dough.




Divide the dough into 10 balls, and roll each out as flat as you can, stuff with filling and then wrap closed.






I like to brush mine with oil using a pastry brush to make them a bit crispier.



Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.



I used taco sauce for dipping sauce but anything works- salsa, plum sauce, sweet chili sauce.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to see how you make them. Usually I can't get close enough to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, i have the Burrito Nidder Kit here, i thought it contains all needed, but it seems that i have to make the bones myself... guess i'm not eating it xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easily Increase Your ClickBank Banner Traffic And Commissions

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your chosen ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete