Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sweet and Sour Sauce Mix




Every time I go out for Chinese food I feel like I’m going to be sick immediately after. I guess it’s something about eating deep fried meat coated in syrup and MSG with oily, salty rice and vegetables on the side.

But….

Parts of it are so tasty that I just get a craving sometimes. So I concocted my own creation that gives me that sweet and sour taste without the gut rot afterward.

Sweet and Sour Sauce Mix

2 cups sugar
¼ cup corn starch
4 teaspoons ginger powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt

What else you’ll need

½ cup cold water
½ cup vinegar
½ cup ketchup

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine ½ cup mix with water, vinegar and ketchup, stirring vigorously with a fork until all ingredients are dissolved.



Pour into a glass baking dish with boneless, cubed chicken, pork or tofu. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.



I make ours with boneless, skinless chicken breast and serve it with steamed broccoli and rice. The sauce is very sweet and isn’t exactly healthy, but it eliminates the other evils of breaded, deep fried meat, sodium and oil. It gives you all the sweet and sour goodness without feeling like you’re going to hurl afterwards and that’s exactly what I was aiming for.

1 comment:

  1. "It gives you all the sweet and sour goodness without feeling like you’re going to hurl afterwards and that’s exactly what I was aiming for."

    Mission accomplished.

    ReplyDelete