Friday, March 4, 2011

Sloppy Joe Mix




Whenever I think of sloppy joes I picture Chris Farley and Adam Sandler dancing and singing. I don’t think I’d ever actually eaten one before, because they look kind of scary, but I was determined to come up with a mix for them and try it out.

Sloppy Joe Mix

½ cup sugar
¼ cup paprika
4 teaspoons onion powder
4 teaspoons corn starch
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon pepper

What else you’ll need

1 pound ground beef
14 oz can of tomatoes

Combine ¼ cup of mix with tomatoes and beef and throw into your slow cooker on low for 6 hours. Can also be sautéed.




I served mine on whole wheat rolls with homemade fries and steamed baby carrots.


I was impressed by how far the meat 'stretched', we were able to get 6 huge sandwhiches out of one pound of ground beef. If I had made hamburgers I probably would have only been able to make 2 good sized ones with the meat. Sloppy joes might look totally disgusting, but as I discovered people eat them because they are freaking GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment