Friday, March 25, 2011

Southern Spice Chicken Rub Mix



Some days I just want to be as lazy as possible, so I make the laziest dinner I can think of. I stick a whole chicken in the oval slow cooker and let it cook all day. I can make 20 seconds of work seem like a fancy meal by using my famous chicken rub mix.

Southern Spice Chicken Rub Mix

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon cayenne



Use about 2 tablespoons of rub for every 4 pieces of chicken or for one whole chicken. I have used this on chicken pieces in the oven or on the BBQ, but mostly use it to season a whole chicken in my slow cooker because that requires not only the least effort and attention, but also the least amount of fuel used to cook it.



I tend to spoon mine onto the bird to avoid touching the yucky raw meat as much as possible. Then I put the chicken in the slow cooker and dump whatever mix has fallen on the plate on top.




I cook it on low for 8-10 hours. After a few hours it starts to make the house smell delicious and the cats start yowling and jumping on things.



I served it with peas and roasted sweet potatoes. If I’m really lazy I just microwave frozen veggies and boil potatoes. My family never notices. I’ve found that there is an inverse relationship between my cooking effort and their enjoyment. The less work I put into a meal, the more they like it. Go figure.



The most amount of work of making this is picking the little bits of chicken off the carcass once we’re done eating the breasts and legs, especially when you have two cats and a toddler clawing at your legs like rabid wolves trying to get to the meat. It's worth the effort though because it makes cooking the next day so easy you barely have to do a thing. I use the chicken bits to make the next day’s meal, which is another great mix.



To be continued….

1 comment:

  1. Another home run Lisa! I never knew you could use a slow cooker for whole chickens and the clean up after was so easy. Used the left over chicken in a salad for my hubby's lunch today.

    ReplyDelete