Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dough Enhancer Mix




Do you ever wonder why your homemade whole wheat bread tastes so heavy and gross when the stuff at the store is so light and fluffy? It’s dough enhancer!

I knew it was time for me to bake some bread when I realized my folly in purchasing 20 kg of whole wheat flour just because ‘it was a good deal’. The Ukrainian in me is always doing stupid things like that. Whole wheat flour is good for you, but it only lasts 6 months in your cupboards, and one can only make so many pancakes!

Dough enhancer mix

¼ cup lecithin granules
1 tablespoon ascorbic acid
1 tablespoon ginger powder

Use one teaspoon of mix for every 2 pound loaf of bread baked. A 2 pound loaf is one baked with about 4 cups of flour.




Basic whole wheat bread recipe

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon dough enhancer

I mixed my dough (in the bread maker, because I’m lazy) and then divided it into two and put it in 2 greased baking dishes to rise for a couple hours.


I baked the loaves for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees, until they were golden brown. They didn't last long!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment