Friday, May 6, 2011

(Vegan) Pad Thai Sauce Mix




Every time we order Thai take out my husband orders pad Thai. I figured if I could find a way to make it at home we would save a fortune. He actually likes this version better than the take out kind! This sauce is vegan so it can be made into vegetarian pad Thai or one made with chicken or shrimp. Some pad Thai recipes use fish sauce but I tested it both ways and found the one made with soy sauce to be far superior tasting.



Single Use

3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried chives
½ teaspoon dried onion flakes
½ teaspoon dried garlic flakes
¼ teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon pepper

Big Batch (makes 4 uses)

¾ cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons dried chives
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons dried garlic flakes
1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon pepper

What else you’ll need

½ package thick rice noodles, cooked
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons oil
4 teaspoons soy sauce

Optional extras

Leftover cooked chicken
Cooked shrimp
Tofu
Scrambled egg
Fresh garnish (bean sprouts, chives, cilantro)






Combine ¼ cup of mix with lemon juice, oil and soy sauce and mix well, then toss with cooked rice noodles. Add in any extras you want like chicken, shrimp, egg, tofu or veggies.

We put leftover roasted chicken and red pepper slices on ours. It was the best Pad Thai I've ever eaten.

1 comment:

  1. Looks Nice. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I love to cook mostly vegetarian Pad Thai recipes which I always prefer for me and for my family. Because most of family members like vegetarian Pad Thai recipe compare to all other recipes. I have tried out this recipe for the first time with your instructions and it came out really well. Share more best of your recipes like this in the future.

    ReplyDelete