Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Falafel Mix




My sister's been a vegetarian for 8 years and when she comes to visit I struggle to find dishes that are egg, dairy and soy free for me and meat free for her. But this week when she was here I thought of a great one. Falafels!

Falafel Mix (makes enough for about 4 wraps)

1 cup chick pea flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt




What else you'll need

2/3 cup boiling water
oil for frying
pitas, lettuce, tomato, cucumber ect...

Combine mix with boiling water and stir until it's a thick paste. Drop mixture by the spoonful into a frying pan of hot oil and cook on both sides. Serve with pitas and your favourite toppings.





Chick pea flour can be purchased at a bulk food store or any Indian grocery store. I was very skeptical about this recipe I created, worried it might taste terrible (I adapted it from the classic recipe using fresh chick peas). To my delight it was SO GOOD I couldn't stop talking about it (or eating it) for two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment