Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Crispy baked shrimp coating mix


My husband really loves those breaded shrimp that you bake in the oven, but he can eat the whole ten dollar box in minutes, so I don't buy them very often. Well this week plain shrimp went on sale for $2.99 a bag, and since the bag holds about 2-3 times as much shrimp as those little boxes, I had an idea...

Crispy baked shrimp coating mix (makes enough for about one pound)

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme


What else you'll need

1 pound raw shrimp, defrosted
oil or melted butter for drizzling
1 egg beaten (optional)

I defrosted my shrimp in a bowl of cold water to save time.



I didn't use the egg since I can't have them but if you coat the shrimp in a beaten egg first more batter will probably stick to them.

I put the shrimp in a bag with the mix and shook it until the shrimp was nicely coated, then spread it on a baking sheet and drizzled it with canola oil to give it that fried shrimp taste. I baked it for 15 minutes at 375 F.



The shrimp came out delicious and was so nicely seasoned that my husband didn't need to drown it in seafood sauce. I had a plate of it, he ate until he was stuffed and there was still even more left for him to take for a snack in his lunch today. Not bad for a $2.99 bag of shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment