Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sweet Chili Rub Mix

I discovered sweet chili sauce for the first time in Alaska. The boat I was living on had a giant bottle on every table at meal time and I discovered that it made the most delicious dipping sauce for chicken fingers. Later on in Australia I learned how they used it as a dipping sauce for potato wedge fries, which was equally tasty.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of creating a sweet chili rub for chicken and fish. I figured it couldn't be too hard. I was right! I got it on the first try!

Sweet Chili Rub Mix

2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic flakes




What else you'll need

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 fish fillets or chicken breasts (I used fish since we have a giant bag of fillets from Costco in our freezer).

Combine mix and oil and stir into a thick paste.



Coat your meat with the paste and broil or grill it.




I was feeling lazy so I served mine with oven fries and frozen green beans. My husband was blown away by how tasty it was though and requested it on chicken next time.


I'm pretty sure this can be made into a dipping sauce as well, just substitute the oil with vinegar or water (or both). Buying the sauce itself isn't too expensive, but the mix is good for when you only want a little bit, especially if you're like me and don't like your fridge cluttered up with bottles of condiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment