Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crispy baked pork chop coating mix




What is it with stomach flu and Valentine's Day in this house? I guess it's because February is the peak season, but still the timing is terrible. Last year I was just getting over it and this year my daughter came down with it this morning. It really makes cooking a romantic meal unappealing.

I had it all planned for weeks- heart shaped cupcakes with a Mix It Up cake mix, and.... pork chops! How are pork chops romantic? They are because I can't stand them, and they are one of my husband's favorite foods. So as a gesture of my love I make them to make him happy. THAT is romance (at least to a man it is).

The cupcakes never made it, today was hard enough. But a man needs to eat, so I ventured an attempt at the pork chops. I figured the best way to make them was with some sort of Shake and Bake style mix. That way they could bake while I finished bleaching my house.

Crispy Baked Pork Chop Coating Mix (single use)

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne




What else you'll need

4-6 pork chops
1 egg beaten

Coat each piece of pork chop in egg and then shake in a bag with the mix until fully coated. I both skipped the egg as usual (so less batter stuck) and used a lidded bowl to shake instead of a bag, which in my opinion works better.




Lay coated chops on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for an average of 45 minutes until pork chops are cooked all the way through (cooking times will vary depending on thickness).




I served my pork chops with baked potatoes and steamed baby carrots, his two favorite sides. I tasted a bite, and yes the seasoning was good. But I think I'm having cereal for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment