Friday, February 3, 2012

Honey Mustard Sauce Mix

Today is the one year anniversary of my Mix It Up blog! I can't believe it's been a year already, but the things you enjoy always pass quickly. I anticipate many more years of mixing it up, there seems to be no end of ideas for new recipes I want to create. These days my only roadblock has been feeling well enough to actually execute them, but the inspiration is always there.

There are a lot of traditional mix recipes out there. Sometimes I make them. But most of the time what I like to do is create something unconventional. I look at a recipe that isn't a mix and ask myself if it could be.

Growing up one of our family's favorite dishes was a version of baked honey mustard chicken that we affectionately called 'Chernobyl chicken'. We always ate every bite and used to fight over the remaining sauce to pour on our rice and vegetables. When I met my husband my mom sent me her recipe and it quickly became his favorite dish. He likes it so much that if I so much as mention it to him I will never hear the end of it if I don't end up serving it for dinner. 'You don't dangle honey mustard chicken under a man's nose and take it away from him' he tells me.

I found the original ingredients to be quite expensive, so very gradually over time I have modified them over and over to use cheaper ones and was amazed how it always came out tasting the same. Knowing this, I was sure it would work well as a mix. So here it is...

Honey Mustard Sauce Mix

3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon tumeric
pinch garlic powder
pinch paprika




What else you'll need

1/4 cup oil
3 tablespoons vinegar

Combine mix with oil and vinegar and stir. Sauce can be used as a glaze for the bbq, to saute meat or vegetables, or used to bake chicken, fish or pork. I put my sauce in a pyrex baking dish with some chicken breast strips or cubes and bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.



I usually serve it with rice and some sort of steamed veggie. We spoon the remaining sauce on the rice and vegetables. I usually use baby carrots, they pair very nicely, but we have this giant bag of broccoli from Costco right now so we've been eating that at almost every meal!


This recipe has almost none of the original ingredients as my mom's, but while healthier and WAY less expensive, it also tastes exactly the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment