Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fast Food Burger Seasoning Mix


Back when I was pregnant this time I had a period where I constantly craved those little hamburgers from Mcdonalds. We eat organic, free range beef, but those tiny little hamburgers taste like being 8 years old and spending a day off school with your grandpa. They're tricky that way, and there is no time you crave comfort food more than during pregnancy.

I sent my husband so many times that he was embarrassed, and it was getting expensive so eventually I learned how to make them myself. I didn't come up with this recipe, but I did modify it to make it more user friendly without compromising the taste too much.

Fast Food Burger Seasoning Mix

1/4 cup salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder


What else you'll need

1 pound lean ground beef
cheap hamburger buns
mustard
ketchup
dehydrated onion flakes, soaked and chilled
dill pickles, sliced

Divide 1 pound of lean ground beef into 10 balls. Flatten each ball onto a square of wax paper and freeze until you're ready to use them.



Cook each hamburger in a frying pan on high heat, flattening with a spatula to cook it faster.


Use the cheap white hamburger buns that come 8-12 in a package. They are smaller than the 'good' buns most people use these days. Top with 1 teaspoon of dehydrated onion flakes soaked in water and chilled, 5 tiny dots of mustard, 5 small blobs of ketchup and 1-2 dill pickle slices.


Serve with shoestring oven fries, they aren't as greasy as McDonald's fries (unless you have a deep fryer) but they are the same size and shape.


This may seem labor intensive, but if you make a big batch of hamburger patties and get the toppings memorized they don't take any longer than any other burgers. They really do taste just like those little burgers at Mcdonald's. The secret is a combination of patty size, cooking method, toppings and seasoning. Now whenever I get a craving for the taste of childhood memories I avoid the questionable beef and make my own.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious but wondering if there is missing a step? Does the burger seasoning mix get mixed into the ground beef, or sprinkled on before frying, or... ? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, wrote that in a rush... "wondering if there is a step missing" haha.

    ReplyDelete