Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sugar Cookie Mix


I love frosted sugar cookies- the kind that come in many shapes and colors with each new holiday- pink hearts, Christmas trees, bunnies and shamrocks and pumpkins. My husband used to bring them home from a fancy bakery downtown near his old office, and every major holiday the neighbors bake some as well. After their latest batch last week I wanted more... so I decided to mix it up!

Sugar Cookie Mix (big batch- makes 4 uses)

6 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt



What else you'll need

1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
1 egg (or substitute)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine 2 1/4 cups of mix with wet ingredients and mix well, forming a firm ball of dough. Put the dough in the fridge to chill until it's firm enough to roll. I made my frosting while I waited.



You can make the frosting with icing sugar, food coloring and liquid of choice (milk, vanilla, lemon juice). I used lemon juice to make a lemony frosting this time.

Roll out the chilled dough on a well floured surface and cut into desired shapes. I used a dinosaur cookie cutter because my oldest daughter is into Dorothy the dinosaur from the Wiggles this week.



Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes until cookies are firm and very slightly browned. Frost cookies once fully cooled. Pardon my terrible frosting job, I can never get the hang of it. My cookies aren't pretty, but they sure are delicious. We served them to our guests on Canada Day and they got eaten up very quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment