Monday, September 17, 2012

Chocolate Milk Mix

I turned 35 today! I would be feeling old and depressed if I wasn't have such a lovely day and a lovely life lately.

We're lactose intolerant here, so we drink almond milk instead, which they sell in cases at Costco for half the price of the cartons at the grocery store. The problem is that my husband prefers chocolate milk, which isn't available at Costco. I was letting him buy the double priced cartons for a while, until he went and drank SIX of them in less than 48 hours. I knew I needed a better alternative, so...

Chocolate Milk Mix (big batch)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


I combined my mix in an empty peanut butter jar (this is a half batch) so I could easily mix and store it without making any extra dishes. Once all the ingredients are in the jar, just put on the lid and shake it to mix them up.


To make it smooth, combine the mix with a little bit of hot water and stir before adding the milk. I used 2 tablespoons of mix and 2 tablespoons of water, then mixed in 1 cup of plain, unsweetened almond milk. Any type of milk will work, but make sure it's unsweetened so you don't go into a sugar coma.


The finished result tasted EXACTLY like the store bought versions of chocolate milk, even to my super picky husband. I just saved myself a crapload of money. I'm also hoping that actually having to mix each glass himself will slow down his consumption a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment