Friday, November 2, 2012

Improved French Onion Soup Mix


I've become so good at mixing it up in the past couple of years that I've been going over old posts lately and wanting to remake the ones I didn't LOVE. I remember that the onion soup mix was one of them.

Onion soup mix is an amazing thing regardless, because it has so many other uses. I mix it with sour cream and make dip, or use it to season beef stew, or coat my pot roast in it. But I wanted an onion soup that I could also use AS an onion soup. So...

French Onion Soup Mix (single use)

1/4 cup dried onion flakes
1 beef bouillon cube (or 1 tablespoon beef bouillon)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon celery seed


Big Batch (makes 4 uses)

1 cup dried onion flakes
4 beef bouillon cubes (1/4 cup beef bouillon)
4 teaspoons onion powder
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

Combine 1/4 cup mix with 2 cups of boiling water and let it sit covered until onion bits are tender.


I wanted the full experience so I topped it with croutons and shredded cheese.


I put it under the broiler for a couple minutes to get it nice and melted.


This version was MUCH better. I loved every bite of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment