Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Italian Seasoning Mix

A lot of recipes call for Italian seasoning. To me it always seemed stupid to buy another container of something that's made up of ingredients I already have plenty of. My dad grows herbs in his garden, so I always have a huge surplus of them. It would be a waste for me to buy something that's made up of several of the herbs he grows.

Italian seasoning has many uses, including sprinkling it on pizza, in pasta, on homemade bread (like foccacia), or on chicken, fish, pork, potatoes...

Italian Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons sage


This amount will fill one of those empty spice jars from the dollar store.

We are trying to eat as cheaply as possible for the next couple of months because in one month from today I will have my dream kitchen! This is very exciting for me but also very expensive. There go our savings.

In spirit of our cheap eats, tonight for dinner I took a lasagna pan, put in 4 chicken legs, some frozen beans and carrots and some cubed potatoes and then sprinkled Italian seasoning liberally on all of it.


I covered it with tin foil, baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, then uncovered for another 15 minutes and voila! Super easy, super cheap dinner! The Italian seasoning gave it a little more flavor without adding any cost.


This one was a hit for sure!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment