Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Old Bay Seasoning Mix

I hate when you're all set to cook something and you realize the recipe calls for some sort of seasoning you just don't have. That happened to me today when I wanted to make crab cakes for dinner. I didn't have any Old Bay Seasoning.

Old bay seasoning is used to crab dishes, but also shrimp, potato chips, fries, salads, fried chicken, eggs, corn on the cob, peanuts and potatoes. I decided to mix up my own to try it out.

Old Bay Seasoning Mix

1 1/2 tablespoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled bay leaves (about 3-4 leaves)
3/8 teaspoon allspice
3/8 teaspoon ginger
3/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
3/8 teaspoon cinnamon

(to get 3/8 a teaspoon use 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon)


This amount of mix will fit well in an empty spice jar from the dollar store.


I didn't have time to make the crab cakes tonight so I'm making them tomorrow, but I seasoned some popcorn with it tonight to test it out. It was a little spicy, but very delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment