Friday, December 21, 2012

Beef Gravy Mix


Gravy usually goes with roast beef or chicken, and you can simply make it using the drippings, but once in a while you want something with gravy when you haven't cooked any meat. Like poutine!

I'm Canadian, and poutine is ridiculously popular where I live. It's basically fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. I've heard several names for it in other parts of the world (including 'dicso fries'), but the idea is basically the same.

Beef Gravy Mix (single use)

1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 beef bouillon cube
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
pinch thyme
pinch sage


If you want a vegetarian gravy just replace the beef bouillon with a vegetable bouillon cube and presto, you can enjoy poutine just like everyone else!

Most gravy mixes are made up mostly of powdered milk, which didn't make any sense to me. I mean REAL gravy isn't made with milk is it? So I made my mix without any.

What else you'll need

2 tablespoons of butter (optional)
1 cup cold water

Combine mix with water and stir well.


The first time I made this I melted butter before pouring the mix and water into the pan to cook. The second time I forgot the butter entirely and the gravy tasted great! So if you want a really rich gravy use the butter, if you want something low fat you can skip it.

Melt butter in a wok or sauce pan (if you want). Stir in mix and water. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently. Once the mixture begins to thicken remove it from the heat and serve.


Presto! Instant gravy to make poutine at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment