Friday, December 14, 2012

Tartar Sauce Mix


One of the many reasons I mix it up is because a pet peeve of mine is an overcrowding of condiment bottles in my fridge door. It bothers me for several reasons- you can't find the things you actually want, you can't fit the things you need and most of all you end up throwing out more than half of it.

My daughter and I are intolerant to eggs, so we don't eat any egg based sauces or condiments, but my husband LOVES them. Whenever I make fish and chips, he wants tartar sauce. But how often do we really eat fish and chips? Not often enough for one person to eat a whole bottle of the sauce before it goes bad.

I find it's much easier to keep a jar of plain mayonnaise in the fridge, and add my seasoning mixes to it to make a small portion of whatever condiment I need. So this week..

Tartar Sauce Mix (single use)

1 1/2 teaspoons dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper


What else you'll need

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped pickles

Combine mix with mayo and pickles and stir well. If you can chill in the fridge for a while before using to let the flavors mix, but this isn't necessary.


I served it in a little dipping bowl with our fish and chips. He loved it almost as much as I loved that when the meal was over, there wasn't an extra bottle cluttering up my fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment