Friday, January 11, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Mix


This cold weather is giving me the urge to bake. The oven heats up the kitchen and makes me feel all cozy. It's been the perfect sort of weather for...

Blueberry muffin mix (single use)

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Big Batch (makes 4 uses)

8 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups dried blueberries
1 cup powdered milk
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt


Dried fruit can be expensive, so I make my own. I don't own a food dehydrator (I'm short on counter space as it is!), but it's a little known secret that you can dry out fruit in your oven using a light bulb (think easy bake oven!). Just replace the oven bulb with a 100 watt NON ENERGY EFFICIENT bulb and leave it on all day. Voila, dried fruit with only the hydro cost of running a light bulb (and considering how many lights get left on in my house it's a blip on the radar believe me).

What else you'll need

1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 egg (or substitute)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons of mix with water, oil, egg and vanilla and stir well. Bake at 350 degrees F in muffin cups until tops begin to brown slightly.


These muffins are delicious, they didn't last the afternoon. My daughter is still young enough that I can get away with calling them cupcakes so she was thrilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment